Thursday, October 20, 2011

What do we do all day?

Thanks for all the sign ups on the Halloween Party!

I have had a couple of parents ask about what it is that we do here at preschool.  I know how frustrating it can be to ask your child what they did at school and get very vague information.  ( I always knew what my kids were doing at school, since I have always had them in my preschool class...so I got a big dose of reality when Remy went to Kindergarten!)

So, I thought I would let you know what we do on a daily basis at school, and then I will post my lesson plans for the month on the blog here, so you can have some information to ask your child questions when they are home from school!

But first:

**disclaimer**
I am a firm believer of child-directed learning.  This means that I have a lesson plan with lots of fun activities, but if the children are intensely interested in one thing that we are doing, I won't cut it short just to move on to something because it is on my lesson plan.  We will flesh out, create, and explore something until it is finished.  So, if we don't get everything done on the lesson plan, that is why. :)


Daily Activities:


*Days of the week
*Months of the year
*Counting 1-30
*One-to-One Correspondence 1-10
*Letters A-Z
*Number Recognition 1-20
*Phonemic Awareness

3 year old class focus:
*Color recognition
*Shape recognition
*Letter sounds
*Letter recognition
*Beginning Writing (small motor skills)

4 year old class focus:
*Sight words
*Beginning reading (DISTAR program)
*Writing Name

I closely follow the Kindergarten Readiness Guidelines found HERE set forth by the Utah State Office of Education.





No comments:

Post a Comment